Have you cooked in an earthen pot? Cooking in the regular stainless steel utensils, pressure cookers, pots, pans and other vessels is a routine practice.
If you know some of the interesting facts about the benefits of cooking in earthen pot, you will be very happy to choose one of these and enjoy preparing some of the best Indian and other tasty dishes.
Did you know the famous Indian Biryani is also prepared in earthen pot? They say it tastes very delicious. It is called Handi biryani. This is a unique way of preparation.
The taste and aroma of cooking in earthen pots online offers earthy flavor and it releases a special kind of fragrance. In recent times, it was found that more people are choosing to cook these specially designed clay pots and though this is a new concept, people are finding it as a convenient source to prepare delicious meals and enjoy it.
How to cook Tips?
- Made with clay earthen pots online are alkaline and this means they make the food much more healthier and add nice flavor. The food becomes rich and nutritious having iron, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium etc.,
- In the process of cooking, the heat and moisture is evenly distributed making the food more nutritious as compared to food cooked in other kinds of utensils.
- You know that excessive oil in cooking leads to weight gain and if you wish to cook meals with less oil, clays pots are the best as they require less oil in the preparation of food. Though they take a little longer time to heat and slow in the cooking process, they retain the natural moisture and blend with natural oils present in the food.
- As compared to the other utensils, earthen pots release more aroma from the food and this is due to the porous nature of the clay pots and due to the slow cooking process.
- Easily available online, they can be purchased in different shapes and sizes and you can pick your selection depending on your requirements. Further these are very moderate in price and have long shelf life.
- Available as polished and unpolished, you can use any for the purpose of cooking. Some of the steps involved in cooking are:
- First immerse it in water for a couple of hours
- Or leave it immersed in water overnight
- Remove from water and dry it completely
- To make the clay pot crack resistant and hardened, apply any vegetable oil and fill the pot up to ¾ level of water and cover the lid before placing it on the stove on a low flame for 2-3 hours. You can also bake it in an oven at 350 degrees. After a few hours, cool the pot and wash it.
- Submerge the clay pot in water for 15-20 minutes before cooking food to enable the pot to absorb water. The steam is released as the pot gets heated slowly and it prevents the food from drying out. Further it also maintains natural flavors.
- Ensure proper temperature settings because a sudden increase or decrease in temperature may lead to cracks or breakage. Place the pot in the centre of the oven and let it slowly heat. Always cook food on low or medium heat.
- During the cooking process, ensure to maintain, slow to medium flame and it may take 15 to 20 minutes longer as compared to regular pots. The cooking temperature should be between 190 degree Celsius to 250 degree Celsius.
- Avoid adding cold water or cold spices when the pot is hot as it may cause breakage or cracks. Use only warm water.
- After completing cooking, place the pot on a mat or a wooden surface or kitchen towel. Placing the hot pot on a cold surface may lead to cracks. Be cautious about hot steam while lifting the lid of the pot.
Cleaning Tips for earthen pots
Cleaning of earthen pots is equally important for ensuring safety and cleanliness. The following steps are useful.
- Ensure to hand wash the clay pot and avoid using dishwasher
- Use plenty of warm water to clean up the food residues
- Avoid using harsh chemical detergents and excessive scrubbing
- A mixture of baking soda and water can also be applied for getting rid of strong odors and certain specific ingredients
- To gently remove the mould, use salt or baking soda on a scrub pad
- Boil the earthen pot in water for 20 to 30 minutes to get it completely cleaned up
- Avoid using soap or soap substances.
Enjoy the best way of cooking in earthen pot and you will never look back again for serving your family, guests and holding parties.